Being in the midst of winter weather here in the UK can be harsh and unforgiving; when combined with a cost-of-living and energy crisis, it can make life very difficult for millions of us. However, there are many steps in which you can protect your home against the elements. Here are 10 ways that you can ensure your home and family are the warmest and safest they can be, during the colder months:
- Insulate your home. Proper insulation can help keep the heat inside your home and reduce your energy costs. It's especially important to insulate your attic, walls, and floors.
- Seal any drafts. Check for drafts around doors and windows and use stripping or caulking to seal them. This will help keep cold air out and warm air in.
- Clean your gutters. Make sure that your gutters are clear of debris so any water can flow freely. Clogged gutters often cause water back up and subsequent damage to your roof or walls.
- Trim nearby trees. Strong winds can cause branches to break and fall, potentially causing damage to your home. If you can, trim any branches that are close to your home, so you don’t wake up with a tree through your window!
- Check your roof. Make sure that your roof is in good condition and that there are no missing or damaged tiles. If you have a flat roof, make sure that it is properly drained to prevent standing water.
- Keep your pipes warm. One of the biggest causes of mains water loss is frozen piping. Be sure to insulate your pipes and keep them warm this winter.
- Prepare for power cuts. Although rare, the national grid can be overwhelmed, causing power cuts. Always make sure you have warm clothing and light sources indoors. Charging that iPhone will have to wait!
- Keep your heating system well-maintained. Schedule regular maintenance for your boiler to ensure that it's running efficiently and safely.
- Protect your floors and carpets. Use door mats and runners to prevent dirt and moisture from being tracked into your home. If you have hardwood floors, consider using area rugs to help insulate and protect them.
- Last but not least, get the right cover. The correct home insurance cover can mean that should your home be damaged in winter conditions, you won’t be as impacted financially.
By following these tips, you can help protect your home against the harsh winter weather and keep your family safe and comfortable this winter. If you need any help with home insurance cover, we’re #WithYouThroughLife.
Approved by Openwork Limited on 09.03.23